Greeter around the Globe
The International Greeter Association offers walks and visits to travelers all over the world, with more than 130 globaldestinations. Founded in 1992, Greeter is a non-profit organization that includes more than 3,000 Greeters who have hosted over 20,000 visits in 33 countries. Planning a visit go to Internationalgreeter.org
International Greeter Day
Each September, International Greeter Day brings together locals and visitors from all over the world to celebrate the Greeter program. For the past eight years, the Chicago Greeter program has offered a variety of free pop-up walks downtown and in a variety of neighborhoods to celebrate International Greeter Day. Check back for 2023 details.
Core values of the International Greeter Association
All Greeter members share the following core values:
- Volunteering locals: Greeters are volunteers, a friendly face for those visiting a city/destination
- Small groups up to six persons: Greeters welcome individuals and may serve small groups of up to six people
- Free of charge: Meeting a Greeter is free of charge
- No discrimination: All visitors and volunteers are welcome without any kind of discrimination.
- Sustainable tourism: Greeters support sustainable tourism. They respect natural and man-made environments, bringing both cultural and economic enrichment to local communities. Greeters aim for a lasting positive image of each destination.
- Cultural exchange: Greeter organizations create a mutually enriching opportunity for cultural exchange; create links between people in creating a better world.